Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sizdeh-Be-Dar

It is finally Sizdeh-be-dar; eid is officially over!...I went out for just a little while, tied up a knot using the grass, and enjoyed the marvelous view and the great weather.


I'm reading Life of Pi now, a novel by Yann Martel and winner of the 2002 Man Booker Prize. So far, it's been more than just interesting... it's supposed to be "a story that makes you believe in God". And I have to admit, it's written in a very captive manner; you just sink in and don't want to leave it aside until it's finished. I'm NOT saying that it would definitely change your belief system, but it certainly has a very refreshing point of view towards religion and God. There's this one chapter that's just HILARIOUS; three wise men from different religions (Hinduism, Islam, and Christianity) start this super-funny argument in defense of their respective religions. I had tears in my eyes, reading what stupid reasons they were coming up with to prove their points. Anyway, you should definitely read this book, whether you are a strong believer, an extremist atheist, or still undecided! I can guarantee that you'll get at least, if nothing else, a good laugh out of it. (By the way, I haven't finished the book yet; I know the story turns more serious later...so, don't expect a comic book!)

And here's a small section from the book that I liked:

" I can well imagine an atheist's last words:"White, white! L-L-Love! My God!" - and the deathbed leap of faith. Whereas the agnostic, if he stays true to his reasonable self, if he stays beholden to dry, yeastless factuality, might try to explain the warm light bathing him by saying, "Possibly a f-f-failing oxygenation of the b-b-brain," and, to the very end, lack imagination and miss the better story."

-Yann Martel , Life of Pi

7 comments:

Laleh said...

من اين كتابو دارم و هيچ وقت نرفتم طرفش! حالا ديگه مي‌رم!!!

The Spring Breeze said...

Is it translated to Farsi? it should be nice to see what words are used in the translated version. But I recommend the English version, since some word games are "lost in translation"...

Anonymous said...

This book and Kite Runner are two novels I wanted to read for a while but haven't got the chance so far. I hope I can read them someday. Interesting introduction :)

Anonymous said...

hmmm, sounds like a nice read. I'll look for it. any other recommendations? I haven't read any new books for what seems to be too long.

The Spring Breeze said...

Negar and Mehdi,

This is a really good novel, try it! And as for other suggestions, I've been back to the reading business recently myself. Except, of course, for Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and other fantasy books! Oh yeah, and I also read all the shopoholic series, plus some other chick flick novels I'm ashamed to even name here!

Shirin said...

Hi Saba :-)
I know what you mean about not being able to put that book down. I had the same problem with it. And you’re right; it’s quite funny at parts as well, I especially liked the bit at the beginning and that whole confusion over the word ‘bamboozle’. Although I must admit something about this book really annoyed me right from the start and that was that whole you’ll-believe-in-god-if-you-read-this-story-thing. I don’t know if you went to school in Iran or not but it really felt like one of those stories in our Dini book that said things like ‘look how lovely flowers are, that proves there is a god’! I don’t know. I liked the book but I would have liked it even more I think if it had just been a story about a guy trapped on a lifeboat with some zoo animals.

The Spring Breeze said...

Shirin,

Hi! Thanks for the comment. I actually had checked your blog a while ago and had found it very very interesting. Yes, I did go to school in Iran and I, also, thought it was too big of a promise for an author to make; making people believe in God! The story would have been much nicer without it.