Friday, April 21, 2006

Movies and books, again!

I used to be a big fan of Judie Foster a few years ago... when she came back with Flight Plan last year, I was really disappointed I couldn't find a chance to watch it in a theater. However, after watching it last night, I'm kind of glad it didn't happen. It wasn't horribly bad, but still, it could be a lot better. I honestly didn't think that the final 3-4 minutes were really necessary and fading out into the white light was just too cheesy. Other than that, it was an ok movie and I think anyone can enjoy it as a rental DVD.

And while I was flying to Toronto last week, they actually showed "Memoirs of a Geisha" during the flight... I have to say I was impressed. I absolutely loved the movie and the soundtrack. It was a very well made movie. Apparently if you've read the book before, you might not enjoy it as much. I haven't read the book so I can't comment on that really. The acting was very good and the main actress was really really cute!

I have also started reading "Freakonomics" for my book club this month and so far (midway through the second chapter) have liked it a lot. There has been a lot said about it recently and I always wondered what it could be. Apparently, it's a new way of looking at the "hidden side of everything" as the authors put it. It's not about economics, but more on how to use it to explore different aspects of day to day life. I'll let you know how it turns out to be when I'm done reading it.

It was a lovely day and I can't believe I had to stay at school for a stupid invigilation instead of joining my friends on a trip to Victoria! I spent the last five hours (of a Friday evening, by the way!) marking the final exams of an economics course! ...LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSEEEEER!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sounds like such an interesting person. I wish I had met you while you were in Toronto. Wish you all the best :)

Anonymous said...

It seems u r a "Victoriaphilic"! don't worry u'll go there very soon :p
By the way, check out "Accused" if you wanna see Foster in a real performance.

The Spring Breeze said...

nimshab,

wow! I'm impressed, I'm actually pretty boring in person, so you didn't miss all that much!

Mehdi,

I've been there only once before... but yesterday was such a wonderful day that missing out on a trip felt very tragic, no matter where the destination! I'll check out that movie, thanx!