Tuesday, March 13, 2007

300: to watch, or not to watch?

well, I am usually not the one to skip watching a movie, unless i heard absolutely horrible reviews about it. I never watched Alexander, not because it showed a distorted version of the history and made Persians look bad, but because i almost never read even one good review about it as a movie.
Now, 300, is a different story. I've read reviews that praised the movie for its visual effects... and then i read in other reviews, that the movie sucked big time, with no innovative ideas and full of pointless slow-motion fight sequences.

Even the American reviewers think that the movie has been too one-sided, defending "freedom" and "democracy" as Greek ideals against "slavery" and "violence" and "barbarism" as - surprise, surprise! - Persian army characteristics. Hmmm, I haven't watched the movie, i don't know how bad it really was, so I am getting really tempted to go watch it and judge for myself. But that doesn't mean that I can not support 300 the movie, a collaborative project initiated by some Iranian artists to show the artistic side of Persians (and that's why I did not link to imdb record for the movie, you can find it yourselves, I'm sure). I hope the project takes off quickly and people get to see our version of the history as well, not only Frank Miller's. Check out the gallery page on the site, it's cool.

- The above picture was also copied from 300 project.

Also, here are the links to some of the reviews I've read about the movie:

New York Times, not supportive :Battle of the manly men: blood bath with a message
Slate, not supportive :A movie only a spartan could love
Monsters and critics, somewhat supportive :Movie review: 300
Sci-fi weekly, supportive : 300 review
LA daily news, not supportive :'300' Spartan sweat fest that's an ode to men in Speedos

6 comments:

Me&Vancouver said...

Dear Saba,
It is so funny which I was looking at the gallery of 300 the truth minutes ago and now it's hear in your blog writing about it I like this idea. I agree with most part of your post but I think there were no need to this much "Shologh kaari" about this movie.
Anyway,long live Saba's Day Dreaming!

Laleh said...

وبلاگ داره روز به روز باحال تر می شه!!!
دوسالگیت مبارک راستی!

Unknown said...

I found it an entertaining "Hollywood Action" movie but the kind that you'll forget about the next day. And in terms of directing and style i think Sin City was much better than this one.(they should give an Oscar to whoever made the trailer for 300!)

j-sam: said...

boro niga kon vali baraye inke mosht e mohkami too dahaneshoon bezani boldn boldn irania ro tashvigh kon too film. kheyli haal mideh :D

The Spring Breeze said...

Pouya,

I think so myself. But i think it's also good in ways, at least it shows that we do not agree with what the movie is saying which might get SOME of the audience to take time and read about the actual event!

Laleh,

Merci :) When i post too much it means I have a deadline and can't work!

Aarash,

I should see the movie asap, feel horrible to write about it without even watching it...

Mayssam,

That's funny, but I don't think that would be exactly the best strategy to impress non-Iranians! ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.