Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Breaking the silence

I have mentioned on other occasions that I do not want to write about my political views here... I feel like to write about politics you have to know a lot more than I currently do... I did not want to act against my word, but sometimes enough is enough. And that's the case with my silence about Lebanon's situation.

Just looking at the pictures on news websites is painful... imagining that the same thing is very likely to happen to my homeland, for a similar pathetic excuse. I'm not saying that the lives of the two captive soldiers are not worth anything, but really, is it why Israel is attacking Lebanon and killing so many civilians? What is the ratio of the value of an Israeli soldier's life to a civilian Lebanese, 1/1000? I feel the word OVERREACT is not enough to express this situation.

Picture from BBC News

I also don't know if there is anything that I - or any other individual - can do to help. For some reason I don't think praying is the answer right now! Maybe if we can show that we care, that we see what's happening, and that we're not fooled by whatever excuses they make up to justify their actions, the silence will be broken. Or maybe it's all wishful thinking... I guess I am entitled to daydreaming after all...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch "the quiet american"...

MehdiMK said...

Some say it was all a ruse on Iran's side and they urged Lebanon to capture two Israelis so that to diminish the world pressure on Iran's nuclear program. It might be conspiracy theory but it's not unlikely to be true.

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

The Spring Breeze said...

Anonymous,

I didn't get what you meant!

MehdiMK,

Somehow I don't beleive that Iran was a part of all this, but I can not argue to support or dismiss the idea really.

- And By the way, everyone, take a look at the spam comment! I'm not gonna delete this one just to show that I truly did get spam comments!

Anonymous said...

In "The quiet american" there is this british reporter who want to stay just a reporter and not take sides. The events, however, make this impossible. Your post reminded me of the same situation. We really can't stay silent as human beings. Breaking the silence is inevitible.
I love the quiet american (the new version). It's a bit slow but still good.

MehdiMK said...

I agree. I just remembered the fate of Kevin Carter, the photographer taking the photo of a Sudanese girl about to be starved and a vulture waiting for her death. He won Pulitzer but later committed suicide. It was all because he was harshly criticized why he didn't save the girl instead of selfishly taking picture (in other words, why he remained only a journalist.)
(Sorry Saba to turn here into a forum!)

The Spring Breeze said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for the explaination. I have read about that movie, but never watched it. Will put it on my "to watch" list. I also agree with your point of view.

MehdiMK,

I know what photo you're talking about. It was a very sad situation and I always thought the guy killed himself because of the little girl's tragic fate, not the harsh critics.

Anonymous said...

I have to say this time lebanese people deserve what they get. 10 years ago, they would do anything just to force israel to pull back. Well, it happened! Now they think they're powerful enough to get more (and of course they knew they'd get such a thing in return), so here it comes!

The Spring Breeze said...

AliNouri,

We talked about this on the phone!so no response really! :)

Dodo,

Exactly! This only makes people on this side of the world feel better about their lives I guess!

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested