Friday, June 30, 2006

Feel like an idiot

... so I watched the Germany-Argentina game this morning and let me say that it was totally unfair for Argentina to lose because of the penalties... they were so obviously stronger than Germans, but well, nothing you can do about that!

Anyway, I walk in to the office, all excited, and say to my German officemate:"Go Germany...!"

He looks at me without responding... but I keep on talking:" I watched the game today, it was so exciting!"... still silent... "so you're not into football?!" [oh, just shut up now, please!] ... he looks at me and goes:" well, I'm preoccupied... I'm flying back to Germany tonight." I realize that I have f***ed-up big time, but have to go on:"so...what happened? is something wrong?"..."well, my mom passed away last night."

if you hear me complain about stupid little things again, just shoot me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the game too, the ref was obviously in favor of germany. did they show the fight after the game in the US ?

The Spring Breeze said...

Asad,

I saw parts of the fight. I don't know about US but in Canada they seemed to be showing it. I didn't think referee was in favor of Germany... but I did think that Germans had the advantage of being in their country and have the moral support for scoring those penalties!

Anonymous said...

It wasn't you fault anyway (the incident with the German guy).

Anonymous said...

what an unfair game it was! oh gosh , it really wasn't Argentina's right to lose the game!! jus because of a f**ing penalty!!!!!!! what the...?

Anonymous said...

penalty kicks are like playing lottery. it's all about how lucky you are. well that and how ready your goalkeeper is. I was rooting for Argentine too but if they couldn't beat Germany in regulation, there isn't much to argue about. although I heard that the German goalie had a piece of paper with him that told him which direction the opponent's player usually goes to when kicking the ball. in that case, the ref should have given him a red card.
but once again, it's just a game. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. you should be ready for both.
by the way, they did show the fight here in the US but didn't have much explanation for it. what was up with that?

Anonymous said...

by the way, that incident wasn't your fault at all. when you lose someone, you get bitter about it and like to somehow rub it in someone's face. when I lost my cousin earlier this year, I missed a major test in one of my classes. when I returned to class the week after one of the guys asked me where I had been. "so what happened? did you die?" he asked humorously. I looked up from my paper and said "no. my cousin did." he was so embarrassed afterwards that he wouldn't talk for the rest of the day. it wasn't his fault though. in fact I felt guilty for making him feel so bad.
so anyways, don't worry about it. it's no big deal

drunk said...

bang!

;P

The Spring Breeze said...

Mehdi and Negar,

Thanks, I really felt horrible at the time, but later thought that there wasn't really much I could do!

Anonymous,

Well, at least they got what they deserved from Italy!

Negar,

Totally agree with you on it being just a game! but it's just feels a lot more important!

Drunk,

I didn't really complain did I?