Monday, November 21, 2005

North Country


During the past few days I've been watching movie after movie after ballet after movie, it's just crazy! I've gone totally out of control!

I think I should try to write about something else for a change, but it's just impossible when all I can think about are the great movies I've watched recently. I guess I can turn movie posts into discussions... for example the last movie I watched, North Country, was not just a well-made movie... for me, it was a proof of how everything we take for granted today, has been fought for.

The movie is based on the story of Lois Jenson, the woman who filed the first class-action law suit for sexual harassment against Eveleth mines in Minnesota. She was among the first female miners and, along with other women in the mine, was subject to harsh treatments from her male coworkers. What I found amazing about this case, was the fact that it only happened 15 years ago and the actual verdict was issued several years later. Today, everyone (at least in the Western world) is super cautious about anything that might be interpreted as sexual harassment. This proves that if people stand up for their rights and unite against a wrong deed, they may actually live to see the huge difference they made to the world; something that we, as Iranians or female Iranians at least, need to understand. If we have all these discriminations against women in Iran, it's because, usually, we don't believe that we have the power to change things. I'm not saying that the justice system in Iran is exactly going to help women to get their rights easily, but there must be a way and once we find it, the results will certainly be astonishing.

If you're a woman you should watch North Country and if you are a man...you need to watch it even more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a history teacher in high school who used to say "not any feminist movement succeeds unless the women themselves want it to". What he meant by that was no matter how many men are feminist, it is the women, believing in their own, who decide their destiny.
About Carmina Burana, I was there at QET but at Friday night with 45$ tickets. Unfortunately I couldn't afford 70$ ones :-(