Sunday, October 01, 2006

Bear with me and movie reviews

You'll probably think I'm totally lame, but I just couldn't resist the temptation to write about "Away from her". I watched it yesterday in Vancouver International Film Festival and I have to say it was astonishing. I can't believe it was Sarah Polley's first feature film as a director. Having strong actors definitely helped, and the movie was based on a short story by Alice Munro, but still, you couldn't be a bad director and get away with making such a movie easily.

As much as I like watching movies about young lovers who get to (or in some cases not get to) be with each other, I couldn't help but admire the love that was shown between Fiona (Julie Christie) and Grant (Gordon Pinsent)after all the years they had lived together. I don't know which one's stronger? a love that burns when you're 26, or a love that comforts when you're 66. I loved everything about this movie. Go, Canada! and I am very interested to see what Sarah Polley's gonna come up with next! (by the way, for those of you who used to watch "GHESSEHAY E JAZEEREH" in Iran, she's the girl who played Sarah in that series! she's definitely grown up!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

not a bad review at all,I really like to watch this film, but here, well I doubt it.

MehdiMK said...

Did you notice Egoyan's influence on the movie? I mean the flow of narrative structure and parallel times...

The Spring Breeze said...

Persian Architect,

Where do mean by "here"... if you're in the States, I'm sure you can get it through Netflix or from independent video stores... I'm sure it'll get to Iran pretty fast too, but I have no idea about other parts of the world! :)

Mehdimk,

I'm not THAT familiar with Egoyan, but well, I guess we have to wait to see what she'll do next... if it turns out be a crappy movie, I have to re-write this review! :)

Anonymous said...

You don't write anymore ?! :(

Anonymous said...

may I ask you why you make your pics not as clear as a normal pic, making it be just a combination of black and red?? why don u put a pic that shows the real you?? maybe you're in doubt about your appearance!!!! anyways, just wanted to give my opinion about ur pic, I don like your pics, they're not natural at all!!

The Spring Breeze said...

Anonymous 1,

I am actually writing something at this moment! stay tuned!

Anonymous 2,

Well, sorry! I thought people were reading here just bcause the material looked appealing to them. Usually I wouldn't mind if I don't know how someone LOOKS before reading what they've written! But perhaps you're right, I think I'm not good looking enough for the blogging world! :) I'll post a picture after that plastic surgery I've been meaning to get for a while!