Monday, April 23, 2007

Greatest Folk concert ever!

I went to see Darya Dadvar last night and i must say that she was one of the best Iranian performers i had seen on stage or video. Amazing voice, excellent choice of songs, with fresh variations from the original versions. She sings folk songs from different areas of Iran with this mix of opera/freestyle jazz and it's unbelievable how great the combination has turned out. If she comes around to your area, don't miss her for anything. She does not have a CD (a big surprise to me and many others!), but she has posted a few of her concerts on youtube, watch one for yourself.
Of course, today instead of humming her songs, all that comes to my mind is Mohsen Namjoo's Toranj... i apologize to all Namjoo fans for not thinking so highly of him before. I gotta admit, he's got a real original style. I'm still stuck on only a few of his songs though; but even with those, it's proved very hard to force his voice out of my mind!

6 comments:

Laleh said...

همون چند تیکه ای که توی وب سایتش گذاشته بود رو گوش دادم، خیلی عالی بود!

Unknown said...

i hate you! tamaam!

The Spring Breeze said...

laleh,

i know! in chizaée ke too websitesh e kheili khoobe, vali oon tikehaye concertesham niga kon age vaght kardi, kheiliiii khoobe.

Bahareh,

baba chera?! she'll be in the States again soon, I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

I 110% agree with you. That was definitely the best performance that I've seen in years.

JJ said...

I agree with BAHAREH :+)

I've heard the tracks on her website. She's awesome!

Anonymous said...

i'm realy enjoying the new trend of persian folk music. darya has a beauitful voice and i'm enjoying her signature style of singing. actually i just discovered namjoo and somehow through my google search i stumbled upon your blog.