Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Trying hard here...

So I'm stuffed with soup and salad (and yes, that's possible!) and feeling a little light-headed from the wine I had, trying really hard to come up with something to write. I think it must be a disease or something. I even watched a movie and didn't feel like writing about it! Don't know what's wrong, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. I watched Stranger than fiction... didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. Can't seem to understand the point of the movie, but then again, who says movies should have a point!? I liked most of the movie though. Can't really tell you what it's about because it doesn't make any sense. You don't have to watch it in the theater, wait for the DVD. Dustin Huffman and Emma Thompson are great in it though, as always.

I guess what keeps me excited these days though (except for the thought of Wednesday when I'm officially done with my finals)is The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy. Absolutely genius! Thanks to Shahin, I now own the first book in Douglas Adams's sci-fi series and I have to tell you, it's quite the funniest book I've read in a LONG time. If you're against sci-fi you should skip this whole paragraph totally. I tried watching the movie that was made based on this book in 2005 and couldn't understand why it was such a big deal. Scenes made no sense whatsoever. I basically stopped watching halfway through the movie. Now I know that the whole point is to read the book and laugh at the author's wired scientific British sense of humor. I mean the guy knows how to write funny nonsense... The book is about this two characters (a human and a human-like creature from another planet) who starts this adventurous journey in the galaxy after Earth gets demolished because there is a need to build a hyperspatial express route through the star system! It probably sounds lame but you gotta try it.

here's a paragraph from the book (there are so many good ones, I can't really choose from!). Omitted parts are replaced with [...].

"[...]a sperm whale had suddenly been called to existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet.

[...]

this is a complete record of its thought from the moment it began its life till the moment it ended it.

Ah...what's happening? it thought.
Er,excuse me, who am I?
Hello?
Why am I here? What's my purpose in life?
What do I mean by who am I?
Calm down, get a grip now
[...]

And hey, what about this whistling roaring sound going past what I'm suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that...wind! [...] it must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it.

[...]

And wow, what's this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like... ow... ound... round... ground! That's it! That's a good name - ground!
I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.
"

6 comments:

Sh. said...

hmm, i beg your pardon ma'am, but the wikipedia link you've posted is totally irrelevant to this book ;)

The Spring Breeze said...

Shahin,

Thanks. Don't know what went wrong there. It's fixed now. :)

Laleh said...

من عاشق این کتاب بودم. کتاب دومش هم محشره. فیلمش هم نسبتا بد نبود.

Anonymous said...

i actually liked stranger than fiction. but i can see how it wouldn't make sense to someone who doesn't "hear voices!"

MehdiMK said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MehdiMK said...

Actually the idea was to watch a "light-hearted comedy". It was very light-hearted indeed and yet not very comedy. Well, the premise was good but they couldn't handle it subtly (which was a very ambitious subject matter).
BTW, "and the rest is silence" is the last sentence Hamlet says ;)