Sunday, October 15, 2006

To the faithful departed... Or was it unfaithful?

So...let's do this! I went to see the Departed tonight... and yeah, hats off to Martin Scorsese! You just have to watch this movie, I was sitting in the second row in the theater (yes! that's counting from the screen) and still enjoyed it. My neck aches and still I'm happy I went! So trust me, you wanna watch this one.

The movie is based on another movie, "Infernal Affairs" (2002) from Hong Kong. The story is about two young men: one is a cop that squeezes himself in the Irish Mafia, and the other is Mafia's man in the Police department. You can guess how interesting and twisted the story gets... and there's of course lots of violence for all you blood lovers out there! I haven't watched the original movie, so I can't compare the two, but for what it's worth, I think Scorsese did an awesome job, especially with the casting. Jack Nicholson is great as always, and I was surprised to see DiCaprio act so well. Think I have to start giving the "king of the world" some credit! Matt Damon was also very strong, although I think he's becoming a cliche, you know... the smartass who goes a long way in society, but has a dark side... It could be just me though! My favorite scene was when DiCaprio and Damon were silent on the two ends of the line, waiting for the other's reaction. For some reason, it just seemed like a perfect scene to me!

And last but not least, is the great soundtrack... Scorsese shows once again he knows good music and he knows where and when to use it. I loved every single song in the movie, especially his version of "Comfortably numb" with Van Morrison, Roger Waters AND the Band! Unfortunately, I only have the original version, so here you go:

Title: Comfortably Numb, By: Pink Floyd

6 comments:

Mehran said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mehran said...

I think the same way about DiCaprio and Matt Damon.

One other thing I liked about the movie was its name..

MehdiMK said...

Overall, in terms of direction, cinematograpgy, acting, music and editing, I think Departed was impeccable. However there were some missteps in the script. Viva Martin...

The Spring Breeze said...

Mehran,

Yeah, it definitely was an appropriate choice!

MehdiMk,

Well, nothing's ever perfect! And you're too hard on film makers, in general! :)

سطرهای پنهانی said...

Saba, the link you put here is for some hong kong movie, with the name of (Mou gaan dou)!!!

The Spring Breeze said...

Satrhaye Penhani,

That is the name in their own language (whatever it is), it's known as Infernal Affairs in North America! :)