Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Movies, movies, movies

VIFF is back once again and I'm enjoying it so far. I've watched only 3 movies so far, and here they are:

Waltz with Bashir: it was an Israeli animated documentary of the massacre in Sabra and Shatila and was absolutely amazing! It was strong and interesting and kind of reminded me of Persepolis in a remote way (Persepolis is still better in my opinion though). The main character of the movie actually is the director himself and the movie is his quest to remember what happened in the massacre, when he was a 19 year old soldier in the Israeli forces present in Lebanon. It's disturbing but not too exaggerated in my opinion. A must-see for you serious animation lovers.

three monkeys: This Turkish movie was unfortunately not as interesting to me as I had hoped. Three monkeys is a reference to a proverb that says: "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" and basically tells the story of a family that decides to close their eyes on the truth and stick together in a very messy situation. Don't get me wrong, it's not a sweet tale of family love, it's actually very dark and dramatic and kind of depressing with no background music and not a lot of dialogue. I could see why some people might actually like it, the cinematography was very good and acting was good too... but I didn't exactly love the plot. anyway, this is not a good choice if you get easily bored, I was ready to enjoy the movie but fell asleep during the first 15 minutes!!!

And last but definitely not least is the song of sparrows: Majid Majidi has once again created a story about real people with real connections that's moving but sweet at the same time. He tells the story of a guy who tries to be a part of the big cruel world of a big city, but realizes that his happiness lies in his own small community. The love between a father and his children is pictured beautifully. I had expected to see a very sad movie, but although there were some sad moments, the movie was filled with hope and optimism. I think Majidi would be a perfect nemesis to Von-Trier in that regard! :) everyone should watch this movie, it deserves all the good reviews it's got!

3 comments:

MehdiMK said...

hmm, I think Von Trier would have rejoiced had he watched the scene where the goldfishes were hurled to the floor...

The Spring Breeze said...

Mehdi,

you gotta write "spoiler alert" before revealing important information in the movie :D and i doubt Von Trier will ever rejoice.

Anonymous said...

sounds interesting. looks like I should watch waltz with bashir.