Monday, October 08, 2007

More from VIFF

This'll be my last VIFF post, hopefully. Unless I go watch a movie tomorrow, of course! :)

I watched a few good movies in only two days and I'm all excited, my head still filled with images from the last one I watched only a few hours ago, Bliss. It was a Turkish movie about a young village girl that gets raped. Village's "Agha" decides that she has sinned and only death will erase this dishonor (you can imagine how I felt throughout the movie I guess!). So they send a guy to kill her and he's not happy about it and the two disappear. It was filmed so beautifully, with amazing scenery, and great acting from the lead actress (she was so cute!) that I was shocked! I think that this movie must be a commercially successful one in Turkey, not one of those artsy independent ones. Anyway, it's screened again next Monday in Vancity theater in Vancouver, if anyone's interested. I liked the movements of the camera in the movie and also the score, it was so sad that I cried at the final credits, even though nothing was showing on the screen! (I'm a woos when it comes to the movies though!)

I also watched Persepolis...need I say anything? It was all I expected and more! I thought the book was pretty awesome, but seeing those figures in action was a totally different experience and I absolutely loved it. Eevery Iranian that has a chance should watch it and feel proud (and force their non-Iranian friends to watch it too!) :) Reading the two books will help too.

Another superb movie was "the diving bell and the butterfly"... it told the true story of a man that got affected by the "locked-in syndrome"... so basically, he was paralyzed from head to toe, and the only part working in his body was one eye! (and his brain, of course). And then this guy went on and wrote a book (!!!)- through a very cool communicating system that one of his doctors created - about his experience. It was greatly made, and felt really strange. It has won the best director award in Cannes, so it should be pretty easy to find on DVD later on, a must see for all you movie fans out there!

And finally, a relatively good movie - but not great - was Jellyfish, a movie from Israel. It's the first feature film from the director and it was definitely a good first movie. I didn't exactly love it though!

4 comments:

Laleh said...

wow! I'm so tempted to watch this one!

MehdiMK said...

I watched Bliss today. It soars off at the beginning but the ending was kinda terrible. It was as if the producer walked in and asked the crew to wrap up the final 10 minutes in a day or two! Don't you agree? However, I was amazed by the first half of it.

The Spring Breeze said...

I agree that the "action" part of the movie was really not necessary... I didn't think it was rushed, editing could be a lot better though! I liked it anyway.

JJ said...

Have you seen Across The Universe? If you like Beatles' music, I highly recommend watching it. I really liked the music and the visuals.