Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I do not defend my president, but...

I came across this article through sibil tala's blog and thought it had some great points in it about the famous homosexual-related comments of Iran's president in Columbia University.

"...At the risk of being accused of defending him, I want to point out that Ahmadinejad did not say that queers do not exist in Iran at all. He said “we do not have ‘hamjensbaaz’ the way that you have it in this country.”
...It is no news to anyone that he represents one of the most socially conservative officials in Iran. But he is correct to say that homosexuals do not exist THE SAME WAY that they exist in the US.
"

I think it is the realization of the term "tof e sar bala" when I have to defend a man that represents almost everything that I hate about the way my country is run today, but well, can't just stand there and nod while people make jokes about Iran.

No comments: