Saturday, September 30, 2006

Perhaps there is truth in this illusion...

I went to see the illusionist, with very low expectations, since a friend of mine had advised me against watching it. Well, I have to say that I'm happy I didn't listen to him! It certainly was not the greatest movie ever, but it had strong acting, and an interesting story, two things I like to see in a movie!

The movie is based on a short story by Steven Millhauser, 1997 Pulitzer Prize winner, about a young boy with extraordinary talents who falls in love with a girl from the High Society. he grows up to be this well-known magician, "the illusionist". Anyway, he meets the girl again, who's to be wed to the Crown Prince, a typical villain with twisted moustache and pointy beard. Long story short, the whole movie revolves around this love/rivalry triangle. Then of course there's the Chief Inspector who tries hard to find out the truth behind all the illusions.

I loved the magic performance scenes, and the way the story started folding up... however, I still can't decide if I liked the ending or not! I mean all through the movie I was trying to choose between my never-ending love for wizardry stories and the hope to find a logical explanation for everything that was happening. so at the end, i couldn't quite decide whether I should be disappointed or happy! But regardless of all this, if you like Edward Norton (and you should) and Paul Giamatti (Sideways), you're gonna see some very interesting interactions between the two, so don't miss out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just came back from watching this movie. I was reluctant at first (because of some negative feedbacks from my friends) but your review did work and convinced me to watch it :). I liked the movie until the very last ten minutes which was very "Keyser Suze" style. It could have ended better than this I guess. Edward Norton’s performance was very good (but not at his best) and boy I loved Paul Giamatti. He is such a good actor. I had difficulty in making sense of some parts of the movie and I wish there was more information about Ed Norton’s character.

P.S: unrelated to this portion, but I wish they screen “Away from her” down here (In LA). I love these low budget indie movies because the director and actors put all their soul and effort into the movie.