Monday, March 09, 2009

Jane Austen Marathon

While many chores are piling up waiting for me to attend to them, I have been spending my nights reading some of the Asten novels I had previously ignored: Mansfield Park, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey. Reading Austen in English is exhausting for me. Having English as a second language and being used to more contemporary styles of writing, I have to read each sentence three times to understand the meaning (if I do understand, that is). While I personally don't find the writing amazing or anything, I find Jane Ausetn's morals very firm and clear. It seems as if she's got this image of a perfect person - how they should talk, think and act - and people who don't match this image are inevitably second-rate characters in her stories.

irrelevant note: it's snowing in Vancouver!

5 comments:

MehdiMK said...

Yeah, I couldn't get past the first fifty pages of Pride and Prejudice. I don't know why British writers take such a morbid pleasure at being incomprehensible! Viva American writers :D

Anonymous said...

Have you seen The Jane Austen Book Club movie?

Anonymous said...

it might be interesting for you to watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9pJgqesQgk&feature=related

JJ said...

snowing AGAIN? :+)))))))))
I've never been a fan of Jane Austen :+)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

This is a great directory of Iranian abroad blogs. I'm also Iranian abroad and our website address is http://parsaflora.com . Please feel free to visit and let me know what you think for a link exchange.

Cheers,
Nikou